Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Sweet and Sour Chicken

This recipe is from My Kitchen Cafe. I made it last night for dinner and it was so yummy! I accidentally used Teriyaki Marinade instead of Soy Sauce, (I was in a hurry and didn't read the label...doh!)but it is made up of mostly soy sauce any way! Also, I only baked it for about 35 minutes and it was perfect! It was quick and easy! I served it over rice for the family and I had it in a salad (watchin' the carbs!) and I'm willing to bet mine tasted every bit as good as theirs - maybe better!

Sweet and Sour Chicken
Chicken:
3-4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
Salt and pepper
1 cup cornstarch
2 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup oil
Cut boneless chicken breasts into chunks. Season with salt and pepper. Dip chicken in cornstarch and then in egg. Fry in a little oil until brown but not cooked through. Place in a single layer in a baking dish. Mix sauce ingredients (below) together and pour over chicken.
Sauce:
¾ cup sugar
4 tablespoons ketchup
½ cup vinegar
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon garlic salt
Bake for one hour at 325 degrees. Turn chicken every 15 minutes. If you like extra sauce, make another batch of sauce and bring it to a boil on the stove top. Stir constantly and let cook over medium heat until thickened and reduced - about 6-8 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment