Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Lion House Crescent Rolls

I have a cookbook with Christmas Recipes from the Lion House and that is where these rolls come from. They were so yummy! They were soft and fluffy and buttery. Deseret Book sells these and I always thought they were divine! I was excited to see that I actually had the recipe in my cupboard!

The only adjustment I made was with the cooking time. It says to bake for 15 minutes, but mine were done after 12.

So, I think I'm getting the hang of this bread thing. I've been having success lately. I've been wondering what could be the difference and I think it is the yeast I'm using. It is a brand called SAF and I keep it in the freezer. Before, I always used the individual packets and kept them in the fridge. So, if anyone is having trouble with their different breads rising, try that kind. All I know is that I sure am happy with the way my loaves and rolls are turning out lately!

Lion House Crescent Rolls

2 Tbs. yeast

2 cups warm water

1/3 cup sugar

1/3 cup shortening, margarine or butter

2 tsp. salt

2/3 cup nonfat dry milk

1 egg

5-6 cups flour

Melted butter or margarine

Mix yeast and water and let stand 5 minutes. Add sugar, shortening, salt, dry milk, egg, and 2 cups of the flour. Beat together until smooth. Gradually add remaining flour until soft dough forms. Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic. (Or, mix in a mixer and let that do the kneading for you for about 5 or 6 minutes.) Place in a greased bowl; cover and let rise until double in bulk. Punch down; divide into thirds. Roll each third into a circle and cut into 8 or 12 pie-shaped pieces. (the more pieces, the smaller the rolls.) Starting at the wide end, roll each piece into crescent. Place on a greased baking sheet with the point on the bottom. Repeat with the remainder of dough. Brush tops with melted butter. Let rise until double. Bake at 400 degrees for 12-15 minutes. Enjoy with Honey Butter!

No comments:

Post a Comment