Friday, March 6, 2009

Chicken and Corn Chowder with Sweet Potatoes

I love that this recipe has sweet potatoes in it! (Noelle hates that it does!) This was a great soup and was relatively easy to prepare; lots of chopping and dicing! It took me about 1 hour to make. It comes from one of my new favorite sites: My Kitchen Cafe. Just about everything on there that I have tried has been delicious! I made a couple of little changes to fit what I had on hand. I didn't have the corn muffin mix, so I used the dry ingredients from my favorite cornbread recipe and it worked great.
This recipe makes A LOT! I actually had to transfer it from my huge pan to my ginormous pan about halfway through. I would say it could feed 10 people easily.
Chicken and Corn Chowder with Sweet Potatoes
3 cups whole milk (I didn't have whole milk so I used 2 cups 1% and 1 cup cream)
2 Tbs. sugar
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 cup cornmeal
1/2 cup flour
1/4 tsp salt
(Or you can use 1 cup of a yellow corn muffin mix in place of the previous 5 dry ingredients)
2 T. butter
1/2 onion, chopped fine
3 garlic cloves, minced (or 1 1/2 tsp.)
1/2 tsp. ground cumin (I actually didn't have any of this, so I didn't add it)
1/2 tsp. dried oregano
2 quarts chicken broth
1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2 " cubes and cooked
2 sweet potatoes (about 1 1/2 pounds), peeled and cut into 1/2" pieces
1 cup shredded Monterey Jack Cheese
3 cups frozen corn (not thawed) (I used 3 14oz. cans of corn and it worked great)
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley (I -of course- used dried parsley)
1/2 tsp. salt (add more or less to your liking)
3 shakes pepper

Mix milk and muffin mix in bowl until well combined.
Meanwhile, heat butter in large pot over medium heat until foaming.
Add onion and cook until softened, about 8 minutes.
Stir in garlic, cumin and oregano and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
Add broth, chicken and sweet potatoes.
Bring to boil, reduce heat, and simmer until sweet potatoes are just tender, about 8 minutes.
Stir in milk and muffin mixture and simmer until soup thickens, about 10 minutes.
Add cheese and corn and cook until cheese begins to melt, about 2 minutes.
Stir in parsley and season with salt and pepper.
Serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment