Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Frosted Banana Bars

I made these yesterday for a friend's birthday and thought it was a great new way to use up some ripe bananas! This recipe comes from Allrecipes. I've never seen my kids squeal for another piece of anything quite so frantically! Well, Gracie did that the first time she had jello - but it was her first real taste of sugar and she couldn't get enough!...ah, but I digress. The point is, they couldn't get enough!
I used up the remainder of the Cream Cheese Frosting I made for the cinnamon rolls a few days ago. This was quick to whip together - even with my best little man "helping!"
Frosted Banana Bars

½ cup butter, softened
1 ½ cups white sugar
2 eggs
1 cup sour cream
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
¼ tsp salt
1 cup mashed ripe bananas (I used four ripe bananas)
Frosting (use store-bought cream cheese frosting or make your own from the version below)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a jellyroll pan.
In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until smooth. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, then stir in the sour cream and vanilla.
Combine the flour, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl; stir into the batter.
Finally, mix in the mashed banana.
Spread evenly into the prepared pan(s). Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Allow bars to cool completely (or as long as you can stand it!) before frosting.
Cream Cheese Frosting ( from My Kitchen Cafe)

8 ounces cream cheese
½ cup butter, softened to room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 cups confectioner’s sugar
2-3 tablespoons milk

Combine butter and cream cheese and mix well, then add vanilla and sugar and mix again, then add milk for desired consistency.

No comments:

Post a Comment